Sunday, October 23, 2011

In the Lyrics!

Music is a form of relaxation for some people and for others it's a beat to dance to. As for myself and many others I'm sure music serves as both. As a teenager I may speak solely for myself when I say that music is beginning to turn me off. Music is becoming less and less entertaining.
Derogatory language in music and movies has become more infamous over the years. “Change my pitch up . . . smack my [female dog] up,” produced in 1997, are lyrics from one of the most controversial music videos in history.
Although this song was banned by the British Broadcasting Cooperation, it was still nominated for four MTV Music Video awards and won one for best dance video. This in my opinion this encourages the use of foul language and the diminishment of women through song.

I also feel that this song and many songs similar send the false positive image that this is acceptable behavior towards women. I do not harbor animosity toward rap because of these songs; but “I [also] don’t want to be marginalized by music or any form of art,” said Oprah when asked about the rap industry.
This link holds the video and the video "Smack my [female dog] Up. http://exclaim.ca/News/prodigys_smack_my_bitch_up_named_most_controversial_song.
  • Adaso, H. (2006, June 13). [Oprah: "I don't have beef with Hip-Hop"].
  • Murano, G. (2009, September 11). [10 Most Controversial Music Videos].

No comments:

Post a Comment